Luke Air Force Base   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

News > Post-9/11 G.I. Bill frequently asked questions
Post-9/11 G.I. Bill frequently asked questions

Posted 8/21/2009   Updated 8/21/2009 Email story   Print story


by Beth Anderson
56th Force Support Squadron Education Center

8/21/2009 - LUKE AIR FORCE BASE, Ariz. -- There are many differences between the Montgomery G.I. Bill and the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill. 

The best place to see all of the differences and determine which is best for each servicemember is on the Veterans Affairs Web site at At the menu on the left, select Benefits, then Education. In the middle of the screen there is a button entitled What Benefit is Best For Me? This resource is a question and answer series that helps members decide which program best fits their needs. 

There are a few notable differences between programs. The MG.I.B pays all fees and tuition to the student. The Post 9/11 tuition and fees are paid directly to the school. If the member is entitled to basic allowance for housing, those payments will be made directly to the student. MG.I.B never pays BAH. 

The MG.I.B pays for multiple certification programs whereas the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill only pays for one license or certification test up to a cap. The most significant difference is most training received under the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill needs to be at an institution of higher learning, in other words, a college or university program. 

Another big difference is that the MG.I.B benefits cannot be transferred to a spouse or children and the Post-9/11 benefits will transfer as long as all of the requirements are met. 

There have been many questions asked regarding the new Post-9/11 G.I. Bill program and how to transfer benefits. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions at Luke Air Force Base. 

Question: Where can I complete my VA Form 22-1990 to change my benefits from the MG.I.B to the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill?
Answer: To electronically submit a form, go to and complete a form after signing on to the Veterans online application Web site account. Or, go to and type information directly into the form, print it out and mail it in to the VA address provided.
Question: How/where do I transfer my benefit to my spouse and children?
Answer: Start by completing the VA Form 1990 to elect the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill. Ensure the minimum time requirement has been met for transfer eligibility and understand the four year commitment incurred begins on the day benefits are transferred. Verify dependent information is correct in DEERS. Go to the transferability of education benefits Web site,, and complete the form to transfer benefits. this form is secure and can only be accessed with a common access card or a Defense Department self service user identification. 

Question: What happens after I complete the transfer?
Answer: A statement of understanding will be e-mailed and must be completed and returned per instructions. 

Question: I've transferred my benefits to my daughter and now she wants to use them in the spring semester of college. What is our first step?
Answer: Dependents complete the VA Form 1990e prior to beginning school. This can be done on the VONAPP Web site mentioned earlier or printed from the VA Web site and mailed. When members decide to use benefits for themselves, the VA Form 22-1990 should be completed. 

Question: The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill cap for tuition in the state of California is $0. Does this mean that there is no way to receive benefits in that state if I go to a private institution?
Answer: Congress has worked to resolve this issue and it is expected veterans will be able to receive full benefits in California by late fall.
Additional questions and answers can be found on the FAQ portion of the VA Web site at Select Benefits, then Education and slide down the menu on the left to G.I. Bill: Q&A. Search by category, keywords or phrases to see if a similar question has already been asked.

Weekly briefings on the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill and transfer of benefits will be held at 9 a.m. every Wednesday beginning Sept. 9 in Room 3148 of the Luke Education Center.

8/29/2009 8:41:08 PM ET
I can't get a solid answer from any source to a question regarding transfer of post 911 benefits. I retired on 1 Mar 06. Am I eligible to transfer my post 911 education benefits to my daughter Thanks you.
Darrell Venture, Eglin AFB FL
Add a comment

 Inside Luke AFB

ima cornerSearch

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act