Lieutenant Colonel Matthew J. Vedder is the Commander, 63rd Fighter Squadron, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke Air Force Base, AZ.
Lieutenant Colonel Vedder was commissioned in 2001 after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has deployed and flown combat missions over both Iraq and Afghanistan in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Director of Operations for the 62d Fighter Squadron at Luke AFB. He was responsible for planning, executing and supervising every aspect of flight and ground training operations for United States and Partner Air Forces instructor and student pilots. Lieutenant Colonel Vedder has served in various assignments to include the 455th Air Expeditionary Wing Weapons Officer, 355th Fighter Wing Weapons Officer, 358th Fighter Squadron Weapons Officer and Formal Training Unit instructor pilot.
Lieutenant Colonel Vedder is a senior pilot with over 2,000 hours in the F-35A, A-10A/C, T-38, and T-37.
2001 Bachelor of Science in Management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2002 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Master of Science in Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala, by correspondence
2014 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kans.
1. May 2001 – July 2002, Executive Officer, 8th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
2. August 2002 – October 2003, student pilot, undergraduate pilot training, Sheppard AFB, Tex.
3. November 2003 – February 2004, AT-38 pilot, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Moody AFB, Georgia
4. March 2004 – November 2004, A-10 pilot, A-10 Formal Training Unit, 358th Fighter Squadron, Davis- Monthan AFB, Ariz.
5. December 2004 – December 2005, A-10 pilot and Battalion Air Liaison Officer, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, ROK
6. January 2006 – December 2007, A-10 pilot and Standardization Evaluation Liaison Officer, 74th Fighter Squadron, Pope Air Force Base, N. C.
7. January 2008 – December 2008, A-10 pilot, Mission Planning Cell Chief and Flight Commander, 74th Fighter Squadron, Moody Air Force Base, Georgia
8. January 2009 – June 2009, A-10C student instructor, United States Air Force Weapons School, 66th Weapons Squadron, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
9. July 2009 – June 2010, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 358th Fighter Squadron, Davis- Monthan AFB, Ariz.
10. July 2010 – July 2011, Wing Weapons Officer and Weapons Flight Commander, 355th Operations Support Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
11. August 2011 – July 2011, Executive Officer to the Commander, 12 AF (AFSOUTH), Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
12. August 2012 – May 2013, Aide de Camp to the Commander, 12 AF (AFSOUTH), Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
13. June 2013 – June 2014, student, Army Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, Kans.
14. July 2014 – May 2015, F-35A pilot and Assistant Chief, F-35 Integration Division, Luke AFB, Ariz.
15. June 2015 – June 2016, Director of Operations, 62d Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
16. August 2016 – Present, Commander, 63d Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
Aeronautical Rating: Senior Pilot
Total Flight Hours: More than 2,000, including over 270 combat hours
Flight Time Logged In: T-37B, T-38A/C, A-10A/C, F-35A
MAJOR DECORATIONS AND AWARDS:
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant 30 May 2001
First Lieutenant 30 May 2003
Captain 30 May 2005
Major 1 February 2011
Lieutenant Colonel 1 February 2015
(Current as of September 2016)