Col. Edward G. Hamill is Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) to the Commander, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz. As the IMA, Col Hamill advises and assists the Commander. As part of Air Education and Training Command, and home to 23 squadrons with both F-16 and F-35A Lightning II aircraft, the 56th is the largest fighter wing in the U.S. Air Force and graduates more than 300 F-16 pilots and 300 air control professionals annually. The wing is also responsible for the squadrons under the 54th Fighter Group located at Holloman AFB, N.M. Previously, Col Hamill served as
the Emergency Preparedness Liaison Officer to the state of Arizona. As the AZ EPLO, he coordinated with Federal, State, Territorial, local, Tribal civil emergency management structures and Air Force leadership in times of crisis and national disasters. He also provided annual DSCA (Defense Support of Civil Authorities) training to Luke and Davis-Monthan AFB Fighter Wing Commanders. Previous to EPLO, Col Hamill served as the Vice Commander, 56 Fighter Wing.
Colonel Hamill was born in Park Ridge, Ill., and grew up in Orange County, Calif. He entered the Air Force in 1990 as a graduate of the Air Force ROTC program at San Diego State University. He has been assigned to numerous operational flying, command, and staff positions. The colonel has instructed in all phases of F-16 flight training at Luke AFB for 16 years, both on active duty and in the Air Force Reserve, and previously served as Deputy Commander of the 944th Operations Group. Prior to his current assignment, he was a Joint Fires Operations Officer, Headquarters U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
1989 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, San Diego State University, Calif.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2011 Air War College, by correspondence
2014 Master's degree in science and administration, Central Michigan University
1. April 1990 - May 1991, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. Ju1y 1991 - January 1993, Banked Pilot, Deputy Chief of the Logistics Plans Flight, and Executive Officer, 56th Logistics Support Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
3. January 1993 - March 1993, Student, Banked Pilot Requalification Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
4. April 1993 - July 1993, Student, Fighter Lead-In Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
5. October 1993 - March 1994, Student, F-16 Training, 311th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. April 1994 - May 1995, F-16 Fighter Pilot and Deputy Chief of Training, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
7. June 1995 - May 1997, F-I6 Four-Ship Flight Lead, Squadron Programmer, and Weapons Branch Chief, 23rd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
8. May 1997 - June 1997, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 1997 - September 1997, Student, F-I6 Instructor Pilot Upgrade, 63rd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
10. September 1997 - March 2000, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Functional Check Flight Pilot, Academic Platform Instructor, and Daily Programmer, 63rd Fighter Squadron; and Executive Officer, 56th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
11. December 2002 - November 2009, F-16 Instructor Pilot (TR) and Assistant Director of Operations, 69th Fighter Squadron, , Luke AFB, Ariz.
12. June 2010 - May 2011, F-16 Instructor Pilot (TR) and Flight Commander, 69th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
13. May 2011 - May 2012, F-16 Instructor Pilot (TR) and Commander, 944th Operational Support Flight, Luke AFB, Ariz.
14. May 2012 - June 2013, F-16 Instructor Pilot (TR) and Deputy Commander, 944th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
15. July 2013 - May 2015, Joint Fires Operations Officer (IMA), Operations Directorate (J3) USCENTCOM JOC, Operations Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) and Inherent Resolve (Iraq/Syria), Headquarters U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
16. June 2015 –September 2015, Vice Commander, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz (IMA).
17. June 2015 – August 2017, Emergency Preparedness Liaison Officer for Arizona (IMA).
18. August 2017 – present, Individual Mobilization Augmentee to the Commander, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz. (IMA).
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
June 2013 - June 2015, Chief, Joint Fires Element, Joint Operations Center, J3 Operations Directorate, US Central Command Headquarters, MacDill AFB, Florida (IMA)
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,400
Aircraft flown: F-16, T-37, and T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 15, 1989
First Lieutenant Nov. 15, 1991
Captain Nov. 15, 1993
Major Oct. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 22, 2008
Colonel May 1, 2015
(Current as of Aug 2017)