Colonel Gregory E. Hutson is the commander of the 56th Maintenance Group, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Arizona. The group is responsible for providing all on- & off-equipment maintenance to support the Wing’s fleet of F-16 and F-35 aircraft. In pursuit of the Wing’s mission “Building the Future of Airpower,” over 2,500 active duty members, reservists belonging to the 944th Maintenance Group, civilians, and partner nation personnel forge a team that are dedicated to providing safe & reliable aircraft.
Colonel Hutson enlisted in the Air Force in 1986 as a personnel specialist, and was commissioned through AFROTC's Airmen Scholarship and Commissioning Program in 1995. He has held assignments in fighter aircraft maintenance as well as space and aircraft acquisition. He was the maintenance support lead for three U.S. Services and 8 international partners at the F-35 Lightning II Joint Program Office, and has previously commanded the 8th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron and the 354th Maintenance Group.
1995 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, University of Central Florida, Orlando, Fla.
1999 Master of Science degree in logistics management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, distinguished graduate
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., distinguished graduate
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 Air Force Legislative Fellowship, U.S. Capitol, Washington, D.C. (IDE)
2008 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 Master of Science degree in National Resource Strategy, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1995 – May 1998, program manager and executive officer, Air Force SEEK EAGLE Office, Aeronautical Systems Center, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
2. May 1998 – September 1999, graduate student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
3. September 1999 – June 2002, logistics training flight commander, 388th Logistics Support Squadron, next as sortie generation flight commander and squadron maintenance officer, 34th Fighter Squadron, and later as maintenance operations officer, 388th Logistics Group, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
4. June 2002 – June 2005, officer in charge, spacelift range systems logistics, Satellite and Launch Control System Program Office, later as aide-de-camp to the Commander, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif.
5. June 2005 – June 2007, maintenance operations officer, 1st Equipment Maintenance Squadron and 1st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
6. June 2007 – December 2008, legislative fellow, U.S. Capitol, Washington, D.C.
7. January 2009 – May 2009, congressional appropriations liaison, Air Force Congressional Budget & Appropriations Liaison Office, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. May 2009 – May 2010, commander, 8th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
9. June 2010 – July 2012, deputy commander, 1st Maintenance Group, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
10. July 2012 – July 2014, F-35 maintenance support lead, F-35 Lightning II Joint Program Office, Arlington, Va.
11. July 2014 – June 2015, Student, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Management (formerly ICAF), Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2015 – May 2017, Commander, 354th Maintenance Group, Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska
13. June 2017 – Present, Commander, 56th Maintenance Group, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 1995
First Lieutenant Jun 1997
Captain Jun 1999
Major Nov 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 2009
Colonel July 2015
(Current as of November 2017)