CAPTAIN ANDREW “DOJO” OLSON
Capt Andrew Olson is the United States Air Force’s F-35A Lightning II Demonstration Team Commander and Pilot, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. As the F-35A Demo Team Commander, he is responsible for representing Air Education and Training Command, Air Combat Command, the United States Air Force, the Department of Defense, and the United States of America at 17 air shows annually. He leads the fourteen-member F-35A Demo Team, oversees maintenance actions performed on the Lockheed Martin-produced F-35A, and showcases the Air Force’s premier fifth-generation aircraft to millions of spectators around the world each year.
Capt Olson received a Bachelor of Science degree in Aerospace Engineering from Virginia Tech and was commissioned through Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) in 2010. After his commissioning, he attended Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (JSUPT) at Columbus AFB, Miss., where he was a Distinguished Graduate (DG) and then completed Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals (IFF) at Randolph AFB, Texas. Prior to his current assignment, Capt Olson served as an F-15E Instructor Pilot at Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
Capt Olson was deployed to Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates from September 2014-April 2015 in support of OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE where he flew 61 combat missions over Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan employing 69 precision guided munitions against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) targets. He is a seasoned fighter pilot with more than 1,500 military flying hours, including 481 combat hours.
2010 Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg
2010 Air and Space Basic Course (ASBC), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 Squadron Officer School (SOS), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Master of Arts, Global Business Management, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
1. May 2010-June 2010, Student, ASBC, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2. August 2010-September 2011, Student, JSUPT, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. December 2011-February 2012, Student, IFF, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. April 2012-December 2012, Student, F-15E Basic Course, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. December 2012-April 2016, F-15E Instructor Pilot, Weapons Officer, 336th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. April 2016-April 2017, F-35A Instructor Pilot, Chief of Scheduling, 61st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. April 2017-December 2017, F-35A instructor Pilot, Current Operations Flight Commander, 56th Operations Support Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. December 2017-October 2018, F-35A Evaluator Pilot, F-35A Heritage Flight Team Commander and Pilot, 56th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
9. October 2018-Pres, F-35A Evaluator Pilot, F-35A Demonstration Team Commander and Pilot, 56th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
Rating: Senior Pilot
Flight hours: More than 2000 including more than 480 combat hours
Aircraft flown: DA-20, T-6A, T-38, F-15E, F-35A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
2017 56th Operations Support Squadron CGO of the Year
2015 DG SOS
2014 4th Fighter Wing Combat Pilot of the Year
2014 4th Operations Group Wingman of the Year
2011 DG JSUPT
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Red River Valley Fighter Pilots Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 14, 2010
First Lieutenant May 26, 2012
Captain May 26, 2014
(Current as of February 2019)