Brigadier General Jason M. Rueschhoff is the Commander, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. The wing’s mission is to train the world’s greatest fighter pilots and combat ready Airmen. As part of Air Education and Training Command, and home to 26 squadrons with both F-16 Fighting Falcon and F-35A Lightning II aircraft, the 56th FW is the largest fighter wing in the Air Force and graduates more than 105 F-35 pilots, 188 F-16 pilots and 300 air control professionals annually. Additionally, the 56th FW oversees the Gila Bend Air Force Auxiliary Field and is steward of the Barry M. Goldwater Range, a military training range spanning more than 1 million acres of Sonoran desert.
General Rueschhoff earned his commission and Bachelor of Science degree from the United States Air Force Academy in 1997. He holds three Masters Degrees; one in Military Operational Art and Science, one in Airpower Art and Science, and one in Strategic Studies. General Rueschhoff has commanded at the squadron, group and wing level.
General Rueschhoff is a graduate of the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies and of the United States Air Force Weapons School. He is a command pilot with over 2,900 hours in the F-35A and A- 10A/C, including 267 combat hours. He has flown in Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM and conducted contingency planning in Operations TOMODACHI, FREEDOM’s SENTINEL, and INHERENT RESOLVE.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Business Administration/Management, US Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2009 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Master of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Master of Strategic Studies, US Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2022 Senior Leader Orientation Course, Arlington, Va.
2023 CAPSTONE General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Ft McNair, Washington DC.
1. July 1997 - July 1998, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, 25th Flying Trng Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. September 1998 - November 1998, Student, Intro to Fighter Fundamentals, 435th Fighter Trng Sq, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. January 1999 - June 1999, Student, A-10 Formal Training Unit, 357th Flying Training Unit, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
4. June 1999 - December 2001, A-10 Multi-Ship Flight Lead/Chief of Plans, 354th Fighter Sq, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
5. December 2001 - December 2003, A-10 Instructor Pilot/Flight Commander, 75th Fighter Sq, Pope AFB, N.C.
6. January 2004 - June 2004, Student, USAF Weapons School, A-10 Division, 66th Weapons Sq, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. September 2004 - October 2005, Chief, Sq/Wing Weapons/Instructor Pilot, 51st Fighter Wg, Osan Air Base, South Korea
8. November 2005 - June 2006, Flight Commander/ADO, 358th Fighter Sq, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
9. June 2006 - July 2008, Initial Cadre A-10C CTU/A-10C Chief Weapons/Tactics, 355th Trng Sq, Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz.
10. July 2008 - July 2009, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2009 - June 2010, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2010 - May 2012, Air & Space Planner, Branch Chief Adaptive Plans, US Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii
13. July 2012 - June 2014, Commander, 355th Operations Support Sq, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
14. July 2014 - June 2015, Student, US Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
15. June 2015 - August 2016, Chief, Combat Plans Division, 609th Air Operations Center, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
16. August 2016 - July 2018, Commander, 388th Operations Group, Hill AFB, Utah
17. August 2018 – June 2020, Commander, 613th Air Operations Center, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
18. July 2020 – May 2021, Executive Assistant to Commander, Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
19. June 2021 – May 2022, Deputy Commander, 7th Air Force, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
20. July 2022 – Present, Commander, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2010 - May 2012, Air & Space Planner, Branch Chief Adaptive Plans, US Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii
2. June 2015 - August 2016, Chief, Combat Plans Division, 609th Air Operations Center, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: Over 2,900
Aircraft Flown: F-35A, A-10C, A-10A, AH 64-E, T-38, and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with “V” device and one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major November 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2010
Colonel May 1, 2016
Brigadier General July 3, 2022
(Current as of May 2023)