Lt. Col. Michael L. Gette is the Commander, 61st Fighter Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz. The squadron's mission is to train the world's greatest F-35 fighter pilots.
Colonel Gette received his commission in 1999 through the Air Force ROTC program at the University of Colorado-Boulder. From there, he became a distinguished graduate of Undergraduate Pilot Training at Laughlin AFB, Texas. After attending the F-15E Basic Qualification Course, he was assigned to the 492nd Fighter Squadron at RAF Lakenheath, England, where he upgraded to instructor pilot and deployed in support of operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
Following a tour as an instructor pilot at Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C., he attended the F-15E Weapons Instructor Course and was reassigned to Mountain Home AFB, Idaho, where he served as both a squadron and wing weapons officer. He was later selected as F-35A initial cadre and was reassigned to Eglin AFB, Fla. At Eglin AFB, Colonel Gette helped establish the first-ever F-35A Formal Training Unit and served as Director of Operations for the 58th Fighter Squadron. Colonel Gette is a command pilot with more than 2,000 flying hours.
1999 Distinguished graduate, Bachelor of Arts degree in business administration, University of Colorado-Boulder
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Distinguished graduate, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2010 Master of Aeronautical Science degree, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
2013 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. July 1999 - June 2000, Assistant Executive Officer, 21st Operations Support Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2. June 2000 - November 2001, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. November 2001 - September 2002, Student, F-15E Basic Qualification Course, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
4. September 2002 - August 2005, Chief of Scheduling and Instructor Pilot, 492nd Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, England
5. August 2005 - December 2007, Flight Commander and Instructor Pilot, 333rd Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. December 2007 - June 2008, Student, F-15E Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. June 2008 - February 2010, Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics and Instructor Pilot, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
8. February 2010 - June 2011, Assistant Director of Operations and F-35A Initial Cadre, 58th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
9. June 2011 - May 2012, Chief of AFCENT Weapons and Tactics, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
10. May 2012 - June 2013, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 2013 - May 2015, Director of Operations and F-35 Evaluator Pilot, 58th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. June 2015 - present, Commander, 61st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,100, including 251 combat hours
Aircraft flown: F-35A, F-15E, T-38, and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 13, 1999
First Lieutenant June 13, 2001
Captain June 13, 2003
Major April 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2014
(Current as of June 2015)