Capt. Matthew P. Avila is the Commander, Detachment 12, 372nd Training Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz. He is responsible for the operation of the largest fighter aircraft field training detachment in the Air Force, supervising 50 instructors in six flights consisting of 11 Air Force specialties. He oversees the 56th Fighter Wing's mission-essential aircraft maintenance training effort for 138 F-16 aircraft worth over $5 billion and executes an annual budget of $63 thousand. His detachment develops, administers, and instructs 65 aircraft maintenance training courses designed to educate, motivate, and inspire over 1,100 students annually. He also ensures proper care, use, and maintenance of 18 aircraft training system trainers worth $22 million. He manages two training facilities and a dormitory totaling 64,400 square feet valued in excess of $23 million. He directs the largest tactical aircraft maintenance specialist mission-ready Airman training program for 68 distinct active duty, Air National Guard, and Air Force Reserve Command units worldwide.
Captain Avila entered active duty in 2005 culminating as an Aircraft Structural Maintenance Journeyman in 2007. He graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in military strategic studies with a minor in Spanish. His career as a maintenance officer includes positions as the Maintenance Operations Flight Commander, the Assistant Aircraft Maintenance Unit Officer in Charge, and the Aircraft Maintenance Unit Officer in Charge.
2011 Bachelor of Science degree in military strategic studies, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2011 Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2013 Air Mobility Command Maintenance Officer Course, McGuire AFB, N.J.
2014 Contingency War Planning Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 2005 - October 2005, Basic Trainee, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. October 2005 - March 2006, Aircraft Structural Maintenance Apprentice, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
3. March 2006 - June 2007, Aircraft Structural Maintenance Journeyman, 48th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England
4. June 2007 - May 2011, Cadet, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
5. May 2011 - November 2011, Student, Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
6. November 2011 - November 2012, Maintenance Operations Flight Commander, 352nd Special Operations Maintenance Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, England
7. November 2012 - November 2013, Assistant Aircraft Maintenance Unit OIC, 352nd Special Operations Maintenance Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, England
8. November 2013 - February 2015, Aircraft Maintenance Unit OIC, 728th Air Mobility Squadron, Incirlik AB, Turkey
9. February 2015 - present, Commander, Detachment12, 372nd Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Short
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Long
2012 Lt. Gen. Leo Marquez Award, 352nd Special Operations Maintenance Squadron
2014 Company Grade Officer of the Quarter (1st Quarter), 728th Air Mobility Squadron
2014 Company Grade Officer of the Quarter (3rd Quarter), 521st Air Mobility Operations Wing
2014 Gen. Lew Allen Award, 521st Air Mobility Operations Wing
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 25, 2011
First Lieutenant May 25, 2013
Captain May 25, 2015
(Current as of June 2015)