Lt Col Rochelle D. Smith is the Commander, 56th Contracting Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. She directs a team of 41 military and civilian acquisition professionals in awarding $47 million annually for services, supplies, construction, and specialized contracts supporting the 56th Fighter Wing, 944th Fighter Wing, and associate units. The squadron manages the wing commander's Quality Assurance Evaluation Program and ensures contract compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and laws. The 56th Contracting Squadron is also responsible for the 56th Fighter Wing's $10 million Government Purchase Card Program utilized by every unit at Luke AFB. The squadron trains and equips mission-ready contingency contracting officers in support of aerospace expeditionary force taskings worldwide. Lt Col Smith serves as a key member of the wing's senior staff and principal business adviser to the wing commander.
Lt Col Smith a native of Tacoma, Washington, graduated from Scripps College where she was an ROTC distinguished graduate in 2001. She has served in various contracting positions at center, wing, and headquarters levels. Prior to attending Air Command and Staff College, she worked on the Air Staff as the Chief of Congressional and Media Affairs for Air Force Acquisitions. The lieutenant colonel has deployed in support of operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
2001 Bachelor's degree in environmental science, Scripps College, Claremont, Calif.
2003 Master's degree in acquisition management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Dayton, Ohio
2003 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2011 Master's degree in government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2014 Master’s degree in military operational art and science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 2001 - March 2003, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio
2. March 2003 - May 2005, Contract Manager, Battle Management Command and Communication System Program Office, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
3. May 2005 - October 2006, Operational Contract Manager, later, Expeditionary Flight Commander, 66th Contracting Squadron, Hanscom AFB, Mass. (March 2006 - October 2006, Contingency Contracting Officer, Multi-National Security Transition Iraq, FOB Speicher, Tikrit, Iraq)
4. October 2006 - June 2010, Deputy Flight Commander, 20th Contracting Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C. (July 2008 - January 2009, Contracting Office Chief, 376th Air Expeditionary Wing, Manas Air Base, Kyrgyz Republic)
5. July 2010 - July 2011, Air Force Secretariat Contracting Staff Officer, Air Force Contracting (SAF/AQC), the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
6. July 2011 - October 2012, Chief, Workforce Management Branch, Air Force Contracting (SAF/AQC), the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. (March 2012 - October 2012, Southern Lead Administrative Contracting Officer, Defense Contract Management Agency, Kandahar, Afghanistan)
8. October 2012 - July 2013, Chief of Congressional and Media Affairs, Air Force Acquisitions (SAF/AQE), the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. August 2013 - June 2014, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2014 - present, Commander, 56th Contracting Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Contracting, Level III
Acquisition Logistics, Level I
Program Management, Level I
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 24, 2001
First Lieutenant June 24, 2003
Captain June 24, 2005
Major Aug. 1, 2011
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2016
(Current as of November 2016)