Lt. Col. Michael P. Driscoll is the Commander, 311th Fighter Squadron, 54th Fighter Group, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M. He leads more than 40 active-duty and Reserve personnel and as many as 25 student pilots. The mission of the 311th Fighter Squadron is to produce the world's greatest F-16 wingman and instructor pilots ready to meet the requirements of the combat air forces and to deploy mission-ready warfighters.
Colonel Driscoll received his bachelor’s degree from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in 1997 and entered the Air Force in 1999 through Officer Training School. His operational assignments include F-117 and F-16 instructor pilot, flight commander, and Chief of Wing Scheduling. He has also served as Senior Offensive Duty Officer with the 607th Air Operations Center, Osan Air Base, South Korea. The colonel is a command pilot with more than 2,400 hours, including 537 combat hours. Prior to his current assignment, he was the 35th Fighter Wing Inspector General and Director of Operations, 14th Fighter Squadron, Misawa Air Base, Japan.
1997 Bachelor’s degree in aeronautical science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
2007 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2011 Master of Aeronautical Science degree, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
1. July 1999 – April 2000, Student Pilot, Training Squadron Three, Naval Air Station Whiting Field, Fla.
2. April 2000 – April 2001, Student Pilot, Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
3. April 2001 – January 2002, Student, F-16 Initial Training, 178th Fighter Wing ANG, Springfield, Ohio
4. January 2002 – January 2003, F-16 Pilot and Squadron Scheduler, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
5. January 2003 – January 2006, F-16 Pilot, Chief of Training, and Chief of Scheduling, 79th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
6. January 2006 – October 2008, F-117 Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 9th Fighter Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
7. October 2008 – July 2011, F-16 Instructor Pilot, 13th Fighter Squadron Assistant Director of Operations, and 35th Operations Group Chief of Wing Scheduling and Chief of Standardization and Evaluations, Misawa AB, Japan
8. July 2011 – July 2013, Senior Offensive Duty Officer, 607th Air Operations Center, Osan AB, South Korea
9. July 2013 – April 2016, 35th Fighter Wing Inspector General, and Director of Operations, 14th Fighter Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
10. June 2016 – present, Commander, 311th Fighter Squadron, 54th Fighter Group, Holloman AFB, N.M.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,400, including 537 combat hours in Operation New Dawn and Inherent Resolve
Aircraft flown: T-34, T-38C, F-117A, and F-16C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with three oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Short with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Long with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 2, 1999
First Lieutenant July 2 2001
Captain July 2, 2003
Major May 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 1, 2014