Lt. Col. Jason L. Cooper is the Commander, 425th Fighter Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. He leads and directs more than 170 operations, maintenance, and support and supply personnel. Colonel Cooper is responsible for all phases of combat training for F-16 aircrew in a one-of-a-kind Republic of Singapore Air Force Foreign Military Sales Fighter Squadron. He directs all F-16 operations for 25 permanent party USAF and RSAF F-16 aircrew to ensure combat readiness and is responsible for their overall certifcation.
Colonel Cooper was commissioned in 1998 through Officer Training School and completed Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training in December of 1999. He has flown the F-16 in assignments at Kunsan Air Base, South Korea; Shaw AFB, S.C.; and Luke AFB. He also completed a tour as a security analyst in the J56, Strategy and Policy Division, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii. Colonel Cooper came to Luke AFB in 2014, serving as the Director of Operations for the 308th Fighter Squadron and 56th Fighter Wing Director of Staff. He is a command pilot with more than 1,900 flying hours, including more than 230 hours in support of operations Northern Watch and Iraqi Freedom.
1998 Bachelor of Science degree in political science, University of Washington, Seattle
2005 USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2012 Master of Science degree in national security studies, Naval Postgraduate School,
2013 Air War College, by correspondence
1. November 1998 - December 1999, Student Pilot, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. February 2000 - May 2000, Student Pilot, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. June 2000 - January 2001, Student Pilot, F-16 RTU, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. February 2001 - February 2002, F-16 pilot and Life Support Officer, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, South Korea
5. March 2002 - May 2003, Assistant Chief of Weapons, 78th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
6. May 2003 - December 2004, Flight Commander, 55th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
7. January 2005 - June 2005, Instructor Pilot, 62nd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. June 2005 - December 2005, Weapons Instructor Student, 16th Fighter Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. January 2006 - November 2007, Weapons Officer and Chief Instructor Pilot, 62nd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
10. December 2007 - August 2008, Wing Weapons Officer, 20th Fighter Wing, Shaw AFB, S.C.
11. August 2008 - December 2009, Assistant Director of Operations, 55th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
12. December 2009 - November 2010, Chief, Standards and Evaluations, 20th Operations Group, Shaw AFB, S.C.
13. December 2010 - June 2012, Student, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
14. June 2012 - June 2014, Security Assistance Analyst and Chief of Strategy and Plans, India Strategic Focus Group and J56, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
15. June 2014 - June 2015, Director of Operations, 308th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
16. June 2015 - June 2016, 56th Fighter Wing Director of Staff, Luke AFB, Ariz.
17. June 2016 - present, Commander, 425th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 1,900
Aircraft flown: F-16C/CG/CJ/CM, AT-38, T-38A, and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 14, 1998
First Lieutenant Aug. 14, 2000
Captain Aug. 14, 2002
Major June 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 1, 2013
(Current as of June 2016)