Colonel Robert A. Sylvester is the Commander, 56th Mission Support Group, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
Colonel Sylvester began his military career as an enlisted computer operator at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota, in 1986. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in 1994 after completing Officer Training School. He has held a variety of positions in base-level squadrons, field operating agencies, a major command, and the Joint Staff. Colonel Sylvester commanded Cadet Group One at the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo., and the 60th Communications Squadron at Travis AFB, Calif.
The colonel has also served as the Chief, Operations and Engineering Division, Combined Air Operations Center, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, where he led a 44-person team overseeing communications assets at 25 locations. During this tour, he spent 64 days in Iraq at eight different locations coordinating and installing the Radio Over Internet Protocol Routed Network supporting convoy operations throughout Iraq. For these achievements he received the 2006 Air Force Science and Engineering Award for Engineering Achievement and was recognized as the 2006 Air Mobility Command Communications and Information Field Grade Officer of the Year.
1993 Bachelor of Arts degree in computer information systems, McKendree University, Lebanon, Ill.
1995 Master of Arts degree in management, Bellevue University, Neb.
2001 Master of Arts degree in information resource management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2011 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 Master's degree in strategic studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. October 1986 - August 1990, Computer Operator; 2148 Communications Squadron, Ellsworth AFB SD.
2. August 1990 - March 1994, Computer Programmer; 1500 Computer Support Group, Scott AFB, Ill.
3. July 1994 - June 1997, Meteorological Models Standard and Training Officer; Chief, Metrics/Technology Transition; and Chief, Computer Systems Section, Air Force Global Weather Center, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. July 1997 - August 1999, Deputy Test Director-Software, Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
5. August 1999 - March 2001, Student, Information Resource Management Master's Program, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. March 2001 - August 2003, Chief, Command and Control Systems Branch; and Commander, Headquarters Squadron Section, Air Force Communications Agency, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. August 2003 - August 2004, Commander, Network Systems Flight, Combined Air Operations Center, U.S. Air Forces, U.S. Central Command, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
8. August 2004 - January 2006, Chief, Deployable Communications Systems Branch, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. January 2006 - May 2006, Chief, Operations and Engineering Division, Combined Air Operations Center, U.S. Air Forces, U.S. Central Command Forward, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
10. May 2006 - June 2007, Chief, Director's Action Group, Directorate of Communications, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
11. June 2007 - June 2008, Student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
12. July 2008 - August 2010, Commander, 60th Communications Squadron,
Travis AFB, Calif.
13. August 2010 - April 2013, Nuclear Command, Control and Communications Operations Officer, Operations Directorate, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
14. May 2013 - May 2015, Commander, Cadet Group One, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
15. July 2015 - July 2016, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
16. August 2016 - present, Commander, 56th Mission Support Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
2006 Air Force Science and Engineering Award for Engineering Achievement
2006 Communications and Information Field Grade Officer of the Year, Air Mobility Command
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 22, 1994
First Lieutenant June 22, 1996
Captain June 22, 1998
Major Nov. 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 1, 2009
Colonel Jan. 1, 2016